Monday, June 6, 2011

Military Monday – George Washington’s Bodyguard - Samuel Callender

Samuel Callender 1756 - 12 Mar 1830

Sadly, I haven’t had much time to work on my genealogy research lately, but today while I was cleaning off my desk I took a break and started clicking on those leaves on Ancestry.com on my husband’s genealogy.  His family history is so rich and full of interesting characters.  I have long been interested in his two times great-grandmother Elizabeth Mariah London Johnston, daughter of  Truman Beauman London and great-granddaughter of Samuel Callendar.  I have been planning for some time to write about Eliza Maria as she was known, but today as I was looking at her family tree I noticed the shaking leaf on Samuel Callendar who would be my husband's five times great-grandfather, and realized there were six (6) hints.  Although I had added him to the family tree some time ago, I had never really paid much attention to his line.  Imagine my surprise to realize that he was a Revolutionary War veteran, but not only that, according to Pennsylvania Veterans Burial Cards; he was a body guard to George Washington!


The burial card states he was buried in Montdale Cemetery in Montdale, PA in Lackawanna County.  At first I could not find a cemetery with that name in Lackawanna County, but after a few minutes of searching I finally discovered he was already listed on Find-A-Grave in Scott Valley Cemetery in Montdale, Lackawanna County, PA.  Click on the link to see the great picture of his stone which also mentions his service and duty as body guard to George Washington.

What another great find in my husband’s family history!  Of course, as usual, I am more excited about it than he is……sigh.


7 comments:

  1. Great find! Very exciting.
    Regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, this line of the family has been a lot of fun to look at this past week and I have learned a lot about the Rev War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came upon your site when seeing montdale cemetery listed. so i clicked on your site and saw you already had found thata this was scott valley cemetery. i live a mile away from it. i can tell you that the card had to be updated at some point in time as this was luzerne county when samuel callender passed away. it did not become lackawanna county until the end of that century. hope this was of some help to you. My famaily is buried in that cemetery along with 2 other cemerteries in montdale pa.

      Delete
  3. Samuel Callender was my five time great Grandfather as well. I attended the 100th anniversary of the Callender reunion and my Grandfather Jesse Callender took me to the gravesite as a boy. There is a plaque with Samuel's name on it along with the other Washington bodyguards at Valley Forge Pa. The newest addition who will learn about Samuel when he grows up is my Grandson Ryan Joseph Callender. Regards, Stephen S. Callender

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Alan Gelatt. I am currently the Genealogist/Historian for the Descendants of Samuel Callender 1756 – 1830. For the past three years, I have been working on an updated genealogical/history of the Callender family. I have discovered many “lost” branches of the family and am constantly searching for more. Any genealogical information would be greatly appreciated.
    We are currently planning the 125th reunion to be held this year at the “Lackawanna State Park” north of Scranton, Pa. It will be a week long celebration, focusing mainly on the 5th thru the 7th of August. Everyone is invited for all or part of it, as time allows. The “family meeting” will be held on Saturday the 6th at noon in the “Pine Pavilion”. It is a dish to pass luncheon followed by a meeting.
    If you have any questions, I can be reached at Alangel1@live.com. Please feel free to share my email with any/all relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the Genealogist/Historian for the Callender Family - Descendants of Samuel Callender. I would like to swap information with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alan, email me at tyrogers31@gmail.com and we can talk offline. Thanks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...