Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sepia Saturday #159 - Bathing Beauty on Miami Beach 1948

This is my second entry for this week's Sepia Saturday theme which centers around beaches, bathing suits, the Southern Hemisphere, etc.  I usually post  on my other blog, ForgottenFacesandLongAgoPlaces, but I immediately thought of this photograph of my mother-in-law Margie which is perfect for this week and knew I had to post it as well.  

My mother-in-law, Margaret Ann Hall Rogers Eaglebarger was born in Nassau, Bahamas on 11 Dec 1930 and when she was sixteen her mother sent her to Miami Beach to work as a nanny for a wealthy couple. She had strict instructions to work hard and stay away from boys.  I have always found this story fascinating as of course, at age seventeen she met her future husband, Alvin Rogers who was fresh out of the Navy and working as a doorman at the same hotel where her employers wintered in Miami.  Alvin came from a wealthy New Jersey family and was expected to follow in the family tradition and become a doctor.  Instead, against both of their families' wishes they were married.

Even though the photo is a bit blurry, you can see that Margie was an exceptionally beautiful young woman and she remained this way throughout her lifetime.  I hope you will check out the rest of her story by clicking here to see the post I wrote after she died last year.

For more bathing beauties check out this week's Sepia Saturday!


8 comments:

  1. I thought for sure you were going to say she was selected Miss Miami or Miss Florida or Miss SOMEBODY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect photo story for Sepia Saturday, so good that you made a double contribution this week. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am more than happy to have a second post from you. Twice the fun, twice the interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A real beauty indeed and I also enjoyed reading the other post about her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I do not think it is fair that you are showing pictures of your mother-in-law but refrain from showing same of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you came back with this. She was some beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent choice for the theme, as the framing with Margie and the palm at a diagonal makes it a really nice photograph. Definitely a girl who enjoyed beach life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She should be officially Miss Somebody!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...